Sunday, August 2, 2015

Home Sweet Home

Hey there!!

I've been living in Malang for about a week now and it has been quite the adventure already.  This town is exquisitely beautiful.  It is completely surrounded by mountains, and of course, the wonderful Mount Bromo (an active volcano). 

Mount Bromo



I'm so proud of our 100% FRESH EVERYTHING lemon-garlic shrimp

Mmmm brains are oh so tasty ;)



We had teacher orientation last week.  Lesson plans, schedules and meetings have been taking up most of the space in my head.  Even if I had a month to plan and arrange my classroom, I don't think it would be enough time.  There's always something else to be done!

Even though things have been very busy with school, I've had a few opportunities to get out and enjoy Malang.  We went out to a small little dive called Houlihans.  It is in the old Dutch neighborhood, which was really fun to see.  We went up on the rooftop seating...which was like climbing a mountain to get there.  There were three or four flights of the steepest stairs I have ever seen.



     We were also able to go out and about at the marketplace.  Being immersed in the language is definitely helping me learn some of the common phrases.  I was so proud I ordered different foods by myself!  I just need to learn the higher numbers to know how much to pay for everything easier.  The conversion is a little tricky.  It's about 1 dollar to every 13,000 rupiah.  I just convert it 1:10,000 because it's easier.  


Rupiah millionaire! 



      That's all for now!  I have plenty to do to prepare for the FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL TOMORROW!  I can't wait to meet all of my kiddos. :)  All the teachers are meeting at our principal's house for a barbeque today. 

     Here's a little video of some of my typical day-to-day life here.  It's nothing too fancy! 

xoxo,
Kat



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts or questions!