Monday, July 27, 2015

Malang (mahhhhhlong)

    I've been in Malang for less than two full days and I'm already in love with this town (or rather, large village).  The culture here is refreshing.  The vibe is so laid back.  It's laid back in a typical islander-lifestyle way.  Everybody is overly friendly and tries to help me speak Bahasa Indonesian.  If I can't say what I'm trying to say (which is most of the time), they are very patient while I let Google Translate take over.

    The day started early with teacher orientation on campus. It was very exciting because it was the first time I was able to see the campus. I can use one word to describe it: breathtaking.  I took a picture right behind my office window.  There's beautiful, green, tropical scenery with a mountain in the background.  This picture does not do it justice.


After I finished gawking at the scenery, it was quick to work.  My empty desk soon became a full desk...filled with piles and piles of books to aid me in teaching my Primary 1 (P1) and Primary 2 (P2) classes.  I will be the form (homeroom) teacher for one of the two second grade classes and will push in on a first grade class to teach English.


The other view from my window:
 The school library:

 The curriculum I will be using for my kiddos:


     Maintaining the proper school attire is strictly enforced.  Students must be dressed to code at all times.  There's even a mirror students can look into to stay accountable.


My classroom!! You can see the mountains and trees through the window on the other side of the wall. :)


Bina Bangsa School - Malang...the view from the upper primary levels.

 My classroom sign.


After school we walked to the market (which seems like a daily routine now).  I needed to get bread and realized they conveniently have uncrusted bread for those who prefer it that way. I've been trying to stay healthy to counteract all my chocolate and suri roti (bread with a delicious mystery filling) eating, so I stuck with wheat.

The view outside the market:


 Thank goodness for my impressive cooking skills (not).  I was able to mess up making a bowl of ramen.  Didn't even know that was possible.


I will try to capture some of this beautiful city on video.  I just haven't had the chance yet.. so so busy!

Love always,
(Ms.) Katrina

1 comment:

  1. Katrina,

    Love your new home town! Keep us updated. Things are going so well --we are so happy.

    Love and hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts or questions!